In my previous post, Coco toyo: condiment from coconut water I shared how coconut water, one of the purest liquids known to man, can be made into a healthy substitute for chemically-enhanced soy sauce.
Now, let me share with you the other benefits derived from coconut water.
Refreshing drink. Aside from being the best drink to beat the summer heat, coconut water contains electrolytes and minerals that hydrate your body.
Nutritious. Don’t you know that it’s also packed with a variety of nutrients? Let me enumerate some of those:
- It is filled with abundant bioactive enzymes like acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA polymerases, and more. These enzymes aid in digestion and metabolism. In fact, coconut water contains more hydrating properties than tap water. Also, it has less sodium and more potassium compared with the usual energy or sports drink available in the market.
- Coconut water has a much better composition of minerals such as calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc compared to oranges and other fruits.
- It is a very good source of B-complex vitamins like riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates.
- It is loaded with sufficient amount of electrolyte potassium. In fact, every 100ml of coconut water contains 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. These electrolytes replenish what is lost in diarrhea. Studies have shown that the osmolarity of tender coconut water is a bit greater than what the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends for oral rehydration therapy (ORT) osmolarity.
- Coconut water contains little amount of vitamin C and approximately 2.4 mcg of RDA.
- Since it contains only simple sugar, coconut water does not pose risk to people with diabetes.
Possesses cytokinins. Coconut water has been found to contain cytokinins, such as kinetin and trans-zeatin, elements that possess anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic properties.
Low on fat. Hmmm, this might be what you want to hear. The water of a young coconut is ideal for the weight conscious among you. It’s very low in fat. Besides, it helps you feel full, thus reducing your cravings for more food.
Anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Coconut water helps keep flu, fever, herpes, and other ailments at bay. It can even stop all kinds of adverse drug reactions. Likewise, it is effective in the treatment of damages due to improper administration of anti-microbial agents. Coconut water is also effective in calming nervous and emotional imbalances.
Helps break down kidney and bladder stones. Regular intake of coconut water eases kidney and bladder problem. It breaks down the stones into tiny bits so that they can be flushed down easily during urination.
Detoxifying agent. Coconut water possesses a very strong, if not the strongest antidote against any form of poison infusion in the body. It has the capability to neutralize the effect of poison in the blood.
These are but few of the many healthful benefits that you and I can get from coconut water. If you haven’t tried this drink yet, you better get a bottle or two from your local store. Or, if you are somewhere in the Asia-Pacific region, you can actually buy a fresh coconut at the market.