DID YOU KNOW?
6 FACTS ABOUT CARABAO’S MILK:
- GOOD PROTEIN SOURCE. The proteins present in carabao’s milk is higher than that of other milk. A 200ml glass of carabao’s milk has 9g of protein! Plus, carabao’s milk protein is more heat resistant.
- HIGH-FAT CONTENT. Carabao’s milk is high in fat and is thicker than other milk and hence called heavy. This makes it great for healthy weight gain. Also, it’s excellent for cheese or ice cream making.
- LESS WATER CONTENT. More of the good stuff. A hundred grams of carabao’s milk contains only 84g water, which is lower compared to other milk.
- VERY GOOD STRETCHING CHARACTERISTIC. Carabao’s milk has very good stretching capability and melting capacity, very suitable for mozzarella cheese.
- LOWER CHOLESTEROL CONTENT. Carabao’s milk contains lower cholesterol. So for many people who are suffering from diabetes, PCOD, Obesity etc are advised to have carabao’s milk.
- RICH IN CALCIUM AND MINERALS. Carabao’s milk is extremely rich in calcium and is a good source of minerals like magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. Great for building bone and body strength.
Source: Bohol Dairy
Carabao is a Spanish term derived from the Visayan word karabaw (kalabaw in Filipino). It’s a domestic swamp-type buffalo native to the Philippines.
Its milk is slightly creamier than that of cow’s milk. And, because of its better nutritional benefits compared with cow’s milk, the carabao’s milk is described as the “most complete food”.
Content and Featured Photo (except tor the Additional Facts) courtesy of the Department of Agriculture (DA) Region VII, Central Visayas, Philippines.