For today’s Fun Facts, let’s turn our attention to the sweet potatoes (kamote in the Philippines).
- February 22 is National Cook a Sweet Potato Day in the United States.
- Unlike the regular potatoes which are tubers, or underground stems, sweet potatoes are roots.
- Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fiber when eaten with the skin on.
- Sweet potatoes can be:
- eaten raw
- boiled (nilaga in the Philippines)
- fried (called kamotecue in the Philippines)
- Sweet potatoes are cholesterol-free and fat-free.
Sweet potatoes offer tons of health benefits, you should start making it a part of your diet.
The Health Benefits of “Kamote” or Sweet Potato